How to Obtain a Library CardThe Calumet City Public Library issues cards free of charge to the following persons:
ResidentsResidents may apply for Calumet City Library cards free of charge. Application for a card must be made in person at the library. To receive a library card on the same day of application patrons must provide two items, identification and proof of residency.
- Valid State of Illinois driver's license, State of Illinois ID card or Green Card
- Must have Calumet City address on identification
- Utility bill, issued within the last thirty (30) days, or
- Postmarked letter or piece of personal mail sent to the current address within the last thirty (30) days, or
- Bank statement dated within last thirty (30) days, or
- Mortgage papers within last thirty (30) days
- Address must match the Calumet City address on identification
For children under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must authorize the library card application and assume financial responsibility for materials checked out with the child's card.
Non-ResidentsIllinois non-residents may obtain a library card for an annual fee of $100 per household.
The Village of Burnham will reimburse Burnham residents the annual fee. Applicants must first pay the $100 fee to the Calumet City Public Library and then submit a request with the Village of Burnham at village hall.
Chicago Public Library CardholdersChicago residents holding a valid Chicago Public Library card in good standing may apply for RAILS System/Chicago Public Library reciprocal borrowing services at no charge.
For full details, please reference our Library Card Policy.